Wedding Photos

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Wheat

Wheat has been consuming my every thought lately, which is one of the many reasons I have not been up to blogging. It all began back in October when I visited my parents and talked to them about the difficulty about getting hard white wheat in Virginia. So my dad placed a few phone calls and helped me begin the process. And what began as a venture to get orders for 100 bags, turned into the challenge of coming up with a 880 bag order. Yes, that's an entire tractor trailer full of wheat. 44,000 lbs. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

At first, orders filled in and there was a lot of interest, but then there was a point midway that I thought there was no way we were going to be able to reach that amount. That was it. No one else wanted wheat. I was imaging how embarrassing it was going to be to tell all these people that had ordered that we couldn't place the order because we were short of the amount. But over the span of a couple days, and the right person getting the word to spread the word to their contacts, I received so many emails and phone calls that there was more demand than wheat! Now, I have almost another half a truckload of wheat for another order! Am I ready to do it again?!

Of course, a project involving this many people can't happen without a few glitches. That would be too easy. For example, we received news on the day of the delivery that the truck had broken down in Ohio! So we had to spread the word that pickups would not be happening later that night. So we postponed the pickups to Monday, but on Monday we found out that they weren't able to fix the truck, so it still wasn't going to arrive on time. More phone calls. But it arrived last Friday and pickups went pretty smoothly, largely in part to my AWESOME cousin Tracy and his mad forklift/pallet jack skills! Thank you!
This is Tracy!
Tracy and his son Michael who also brought to the table much brawn!

2 comments:

The Cobells said...

Way to go. Thats great your doing that. I am sure everyone was so gratful for you doing all of that.

Anonymous said...

I haven't looked at your blog for a while! Love all your photos and what a couple of hunky guys you got to help out with the wheat! Awesome!!