Wedding Photos

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Kate's Party

So I realize she's only one, but it is her first birthday! I enjoyed throwing a big party for Danny on his first birthday, so I wanted to do the same for Kate. And I have been having a lot of fun with cakes, so this is an original Rebecka creation.

I made two cakes in cookie sheet pans, made a delicious pudding-y icing for the center, then cut the cakes into the shape of a one. Then I frosted it with a homemade butter cream icing. For the blocks and letters, I colored fondant and rolled it out, then cut out the shapes I wanted. Just to cover up my icing "issues" I placed Skittles around the perimeter of the cake. If I were to do it again, I don't think I would have used the Skittles. I don't know if it needed anything around it, but I definitely would do something different in the future.
I love this picture, because Kate had three of her cousins AND her brother, all 2 and 3, desperately wanting to help open her gifts. They were so excited they couldn't help but rip the paper every once in a while. Or a lot in some cases.
One happy birthday girl.

5 comments:

Bradleyfamily said...

Look at you!! You are a very good and very creative cake decorator!! I like the skittles around it, I think is adds more color and makes it fun! That Cake is really so adorable! And I love Kate's face in that last picture! Pure JOY!!! You are such a great Mommy!

Just the 2 of Us! said...

Aren't you miss homemaker! She's adorable Becks, but I wouldn't expect anything other than beautiful if she's part of you. Love and miss ya!

The Cobells said...

Happy Birthday Kate! She is so cute and I love the cake!

Cameron and Vanessa said...

Wow, I love the cake! You are so creative! Happy Birthday Kate!

Bridges Family said...

The cake looks great! Good job! So cute and colorful!